Saturday, 13 April 2013

Revision Special - Mind Mapping!

Good evening everyone I hope you all had a spectacular Saturday, I am dreadfully sorry that I am blogging at this hour but I do have an excuse believe me, I've been revising!
As I am in my last year of High School, and it's coming up to summer, this can only mean one thing for any kid my age, not holidays, not sunshine - EXAMS. The amount of exams one has depends on what subjects the student has chosen, I for one has twelve mighty exams and all need revising for. SO today I set to it to begin revising for my GCSE Chemistry 2 exam through the medium of mind mapping.
For those of you who don't know what mind mapping is it is basically a great way to revise for your subjects through the skill of art. This tends to work better if your kinesthetic (a practical kind of learner) or a visual (sight kind of learner). The concept it to divide your subject into various branches, which lead to other branches and other branches until all of your work has been covered.
I have been revising this way for a few years now because I find this really works for me, as I love everything arty and colourful - so it's right up my street! Today I am going to share with you how exactly I go about mind mapping...

SO the first thing I do, and this is pretty much step 1 is get your supplies out, this includes some paper and all things colourful, your instruments for mind mapping galore  You then need to open your book and read the subject. (The most boring part of the mind mapping process).
Warning this can be very boring...
SO after you've done the grueling task of reading the subject you can get started on the mapping. Begin by writing out the subject title in the centre, make it nice and clear so that you can tell what it is.
One you've done that you need to branch out from here with your first title, mine was 'ATOMIC STRUCTURE' fascinating. Once I've done that I can separate this into as many branches as I need, in this case I had three things to talk about, so I branched it out a further three times...

After doing that I set about dividing each branch trying to cover all the notes I need, *TRY NOT TO LOOK AT YOUR BOOK AT THIS STAGE - BUT IF YOU STRUGGLE YOU WILL NOT GET EATEN IF YOU 'ACCIDENTLY' SNEAK AT THE BOOK*. If a subject is needed to go into further detail, you add another branch, and another, until there's nothing left to say.
I find asking myself questions really works for me.
And then keep branching! Don't forget to make it nice and colourful and add as many diagrams as possible to make it come more alive in your head. Eventually it will look something like this...







Once one aspect is complete, you open up your book and you do a new branch from the centre. My next one is 'Atoms and the Periodic Table'. Of course it's getting late so I decided one subject was enough for me tonight, but as soon as I have completed the subject I will post some pictures (probably on my Tumblr account) of the finished product. I hope you have enjoyed, don't forget to subscribe! Love Annie :)xx


How do you revise for your exams?

No comments:

Post a Comment