Wednesday, 27 March 2013

How Resurrect Dead, Sad Hair.

Good evening bloggers and today I feel like it is high time I shared with you my secrets to revitalizing sad, broken, dead hair. This is a problem I frequently battle with due to the fact that my hair, for some reason seems to split very easily. 
I am told that people with naturally curly hair, and people who have had their hair died are mostly at risk of horrific hair which makes a lot of sense for me as my hair is not only permanently highlighted blonde on a 12 week basis but also naturally my hair is like ringlets  I was also told by my hairdresser that people with naturally light hair (myself once again) tend to have more vulnerable hair as to people with dark hair, darker hair seems to be much stronger and therefore tends to split less. So basically my hair is in the firing range when it comes to damage.
Have no fear readers as I am here to share with you my nifty bag of tricks which I have been using for probably just under six months now and I have noticed that the general condition of my hair has transformed. So if constant styling, weather and genes have left your hair feeling a little sad, here is the place to be.


STEP 1 - Get snipping.
Once your hair has split unfortunately as sad as it is there is no way of magically repairing that hair, I suppose you could split the hair all the way to the root, or pull the hair out, but I would seriously not recommend splitting the hair to it's root as it will leave the hair incredibly thin and breakable and altogether would not be healthy. The best thing and the first step to recovering your hair is to get those hair scissors out and start trimming the ends. You can either get this done at a hairdressers, or if you're growing your hair like myself and prefer to save every milimetre possible, cut it yourself. I would not recommend cutting the hair in chunks as this could end terribly, instead analyse each and every strand individually cutting one strand at a time to avoid making your hair look a complete disaster. This process does take a while, but is certainly worth it and although at the beginning depression sinks in as you discover the true state of your hair, it is rather liberating getting to snip of those split ends for good.

You can buy scissors from just about any drug store, they vary in price and I even spotted a lovely pair in TKMAXX!
Buy from Amazon.

Buy from John Lewis.

STEP 2 - Mask up.



The next step requires that you go out or in (shop online!) and buy a hair mask, you don't necessarily have to buy one, I have read countless home made hair mask recipes on Google  just search for it and it will come up. Masking up the hair deeply conditions the hair after all the pain it went through. When I do this I take a shower as usual and my our normal conditioner (cherish my colour by VO5), then once I'm out of the shower and all dried and clothed, I rinse my hair in the sink and then grab the mask and smother my hair from about a quarter of the way down to the tips. The reason why I don't apply to my roots is simply because my scalp already gets greasy quickly and so all that added moisture would do me no favors  You can experiment with different masks, I tend to buy mine while their on offer to get the best deal, and they last me about three months, depending on how often I use them. Although the packaging on most recommend leaving the mask to rejuvenate your hair for about 10-15 minutes, I would suggest leaving it in for a good hour if your hair is truly damaged like mine, after washing it out your hair feels so soft and healthy words can't describe how amazing it feels. After applying the mask I leave my hair to naturally dry (despite going super curly) so that my hair can take a break and concentrate on getting better. If your hair is seriously damaged I would begin it's treatment by doing this every other day for a week, then you can go every for days for a week, then once a week, and then once every two weeks. I wouldn't leave it longer than every two weeks because even the healthiest of hair deserves some pampering! 
                Buy this...                                           Buy this...                                      Buy this...

STEP 3 - HOLD BACK THE HEAT.
If you're like me and thoroughly enjoy styling your hair using all kinds of heat related products this step is certainly the most difficult. If you blow-dry your hair, try and ween it off, letting your hair naturally dry leaves your hair feeling much healthier as opposed to leaving your hair feeling very dry.  If you can't survive without the hair dryer try and let your hair naturally dry to at least damp before drying, or use a cool setting on the dryer to minimize damage. Being a previous straighter addict, I decided to limit straightening my hair to once a week, and then once every two weeks, this makes the style feel more special but also keeps your hair healthy as ever. When you do decide to take the heat (we all have our weak moments) drench your hair in heat protector and let it dry before using the tools, this makes it work better and will minimize the damage.

                                                          
                            STEP 4 - LEARN SOME NEW HAIR STYLES.
The lack of heat on your hair can easily leave it being healthy but possibly not as pleasing to the eye, so learn some new heat-free styles, some loose braids or buns can be just as delightful without the damage. Brush your hair gently and try and avoid brushing when it's wet because that's when your hair is weakest.




Image from wehearit.







STEP 5 - EAT HEALTHIER.
Get reading online or in books and magazines as to which foods and drinks are good and bad for your hair. Dose up on multi-vitamins and fruits and vegetables as a healthy you will reflect on your hair.

And that's it readers, I hope you have learnt a thing or two and have enjoyed learning these tips to saving your hair. If you have any comments or tips of your own please feel free to comment below. Thank you for reading readers! Love :) Annie xx
*Please note this advice offered is taken at own risk and I am not a qualified expert on hair care, these are just my own personal tips*.

No comments:

Post a Comment